Monday, March 2, 2009

Larry H. Miller

Every time I walk into a Megaplex Theatre I think about Larry Miller and how awesome he is for our state. Have you ever been to a movie in another state? I've been to theatres in other states that make our $1 theatres look glamorous. Obviously the movie theatres, the restaurants, the car dealerships, etc. are all part of what made him important for our state. Obviously the most important reason he was important to our state was my beloved Utah Jazz.

I thought Larry was a spectacular owner. I loved that he was open to the media. Whenever he did interviews on 1280 or 1320, I was locked in to hear whatever he had to say. Whether he was talking sports or his political views I absolutely could not change the station. He shared inside stories and honest business perspective on what was going on for the Jazz and real world issues. I thank him for making himself so available to the public. I hear owners of most major sports franchises don't comment publicly and hide away in the luxury suites. I would hate to have an onwer like that. Give me a Larry Miller or Mark Cuban anyday. Outspoken, sitting courtside, interested in what is going on and interested in winning. No wonder the world hates Donald Sterling and the Clippers.

I had one encounter with Larry Miller in my lifetime. It lasted 2 seconds and was most certainly un-noteworthy in the life of Larry Miller, but I obviously will never forget. I was working as the gateshack guard in the Pepperwood Community in Sandy. People that pulled up in the visitor lane were required to tell me where they were going, their name, etc. Up pulls a white Mercedes-Benz, the hundred-thousand-dollar type, not the "just a luxury car" type. He pulls up and I freeze: "That is Larry H. Miller" I think to myself. What do I do? Do I shake his hand? Ask for an autograph? What??!! I do nothing. "Good Afternoon. Where are you headed?" "I'm here to visit my son Greg Miller." Then the kicker, "What's your name?" He gives me the quickest look like, "Come on, you know exactly who I am." And it was true, I did. But he was completely gracious, "Larry Miller". "Have a nice day". As he drove off I thought of 1,000 things I wanted to ask him about the Jazz, but the opportunity had vanished. I'm sure a punk kid asking Jazz questions when all he wants to do is visit his son would've bothered him anyway, but still.

I can't remember where I discussed this, I'm sure it was at work since that is where I spend my life these days, but somebody brought up the concept of what would happen in your "perfect day". Not necessarily your last day on earth, just your perfect day. Amongst other things, I said the cap to my "perfect day" would be watching the Jazz win an exciting, close game. Not winning game 7 of the Finals or even necessarily a playoff game, just watching them play and win. The night before he passed, the Jazz pulled out an exciting, come-from-behind win over the Celtics. I read that when Gail told him they had won, he was happy.

4 comments:

The Balls said...

I would be just as happy as LHM if only I were included in your "perfect day." Don't you know you would be my "perfect day?!" Oh, Brandon your passion is so great for your "true" loves I only hope someday I will earn the rep of such! HAHA LOVE YOU!

Aaron said...

I dug Mr. Miller....I worked for him and saw a bit of a different side, but I still liked him and what he did for our state.

He will be missed.

Kiley Newbold said...

He definitely brought some good things to our state. No doubt. With people like Larry(celebrity/quasi-celebrity) I think we often forget that at the end of the day, they are just like us--they are dads, brothers, husbands etc. It seems like his family loved him very much. That is awesome. On a side note: I actually had the chance to play some ball on the ES Arena floor a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome, but unfortunately I didn't channel any Jazz skills. That is undoubtedly the biggest venue that I have ever airballed at.

Lumpy said...

not a big miller fan. its true he was very influential for the state but i think as a character a man like john huntsman sr. has been a greater positive influence for the state and those living in it.