Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Commercials Part 1

Once again I'm up in Washington and I find myself wathcing copious amounts of tv at night (ok, so not all that different from my normal life). But I have seen too many commercials tonight that have upset me not to write about it; particularly what I am going to dub "the downfall of Arby's".

All that know me know I LOVE commercials. I should have gone in to advertising becuase I'm such a sucker for commercials (can you say sham-wow, p90x, perfect pushup, iron gym, magic bullet, and on and on), but I am especially a sucker for food commercials. If I see a new food product, I want to try it. If I see a good food commercial, I want to go there (and I usually do). In fact, while I'm thinking about it, I'll note that I went to KFC tonight with a coupon for a free "Grilled Chicken" meal. Maybe I was expecting the type of grilled chicken you get on your grilled chicken sandwiches or something but I would've probably rather had fried. And the grilled certainly didn't taste healthy, it tasted just like the fried. . .hmmm. "Unthink KFC?" I think KFC needs to stick to their NAMESAKE and keep it fried. People know when they're getting fastfood level food they are getting unhealthy stuff that ideally tastes really good. Tonight I got something that might have been marginally more healthy but didn't make up for it with extra taste. That's a thumbs down for me. The most upsetting part is these guys are owned under the same umbrella as Taco Bell, and I think Taco Bell routinely puts out clever commercials that make me want to each there.

Anyways, back on topic. I generally like almost all food commercials, because I like food! But I absolutely cannot STAND ANY of the new Arby's "Roast Burger" commercials. Look, I know you're trying to focus on your "non-greasiness" but by focusing on it in your commercials you are making me want to avoid YOU because you are the one I associate it with. Why is Arby's trying to reinvent themselves as a "burger"? Whose idea is this? Stupid stupid stupid! Don't call it a burger! I used to hold Arby's on a "upper-echelon" of fast food if you know what I mean, but they are downgrading themselves to McDonalds/Burger King status by trying to say they are a burger (I know you all know I love McDonalds, and I do, but most put McDonalds at the bottom of the barrel and I am referencing McDonalads according to popular theory, not my specific tastes). Anyways, the commercials suck and make me want to avoid Arby's at all costs. Too bad because their roast beef sandwich and their market sandwiches are pretty good.

One more commercial I keep noticing. This of course has no bearing on my purchasing since I've never purchased this product nor ever will, but I keep getting pissed at these new Budweiser commercials. They focus the whole commercial on how they are the great "American" lager. If they're so American, why are they playing a song by Jet (an AUSTRALIAN band) every commercial? Who hired these adverstising people? Or am I the only moron out there who notices things like this?

Anyways, this is Part 1 because sometime in the future I know I'm going to get riled up about commercials again and write some more. For now. . .

1 comment:

Dr. Lordeslupe said...

You are the only moron out there!!!!