Saturday, June 6, 2009

CPA! (AKA Most boring post ever)

So today in the mail I finally received the little slip of paper from the state department of occupational licensing that says I am officially a CPA! Pretty exciting for a nerd like myself I know. Most people probably are thinking, "Holy crap! You've been graduated and working in accounting for a year and half now! I thought you were already a CPA! You suck for taking so long!" Well, it actually takes a while including passing all the tests and you have to get a certain amount of work experience before everything is complete. So now it's all complete and basically the big thing I get out of it is to shoulder more blame if something goes wrong with a job I'm working on :).

I can say with full certainty that being a CPA just means you spend your life working. For some reason in college there is this big myth that your job basically entails golfing a ton and wooing clients. I'm pretty sure I golfed a grand total of 3 times last year and I haven't even thought about taking them out of the garage once so far this year. What I DO do without myth is spend 15 hours a day sitting in a chair in some back-corner conference room or cubicle. Combine that with my sweet eating habits (pretty much every meal is take out since we're too busy working) and you have yourself one fat brandon! That should be my new nickname. . . fat brandon! It has a ring to it.

This sounds like a gripe session, but I actually like what I do. Not necesarily how much I do it, but I do learn a lot of interesting things and deal with interesting situations (and people for that matter). I've already been to a ton of different businesses in this state and others and seen various types of business operations that I wouldn't see elsewhere. The sad part is, as I see myself learning more about accounting I also see myself digging deeper and deeper into the "ultra-nerd" pit that I've basically already lived in my whole life. These things that I find interesting put the world to sleep (and certainly my wife :)).

Fat Brandon, CPA. It has a ring to it, right?

3 comments:

Chalen said...

congrats on getting your CPA! And fat brandon isn't so bad, we have a fat Beau and a fat Chalen (and I am a home all day so what excuse do I have?)

Lumpy said...

congratulations bro! keep up the good work

Dr. Lordeslupe said...

Brandon.....you are the best CPA and food lover I know. Without your blogs about food knowledge...where would be all be. Thanks for the all the time you spend being yourself. By the way....what is the best Hot Dog????
From FAt Albert LULU