Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why the Jazz are #1

One of my favorite lines of all time is from Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, "It's Division 1 Football!!!" Love it!

How on earth could #9 (soon to be # "others receiving votes) BYU play such a crappy game tonight against TCU? I can tell you exactly why, "It's Division 1 Football!!!!" Nice article in USA Today this week about the Cougs. Apparently they practice 90 minutes a day, all coaches are home by 6:30, and they are encouraged to make sure football is #5 on their priority list. #5? I'm pretty sure Rachel would argue (and I would have to agree with her) that football is higher than #5 on MY priority list, and I don't play. It's Division 1 Football!!!!! How about you take 3 months and inch that item up a few notches. 90 minutes of practice a day? I get that much exercise throughout the day and I'm 50 pounds overweight, slow, and sit in a chair for 12 hours a day. Could I play Division 1 Football????? Home by 6:30? I haven't been home by 6:30 this year! Note to division 1 college coaches. . . IT'S DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!! Yes! Quadruple exclamation point!

This is why BYU is second to the Jazz. The season comes down to 2 games, the first time they lose and the game against the U. Can anybody provide a single good reason for attending or watching the UNLV game next week? Does anybody care? UNLV? No, nobody cares. BYU shouldn't schedule Northern Iowa or any other cupcake to open the season, they should schedule the absolute top team available (hello Florida State this year!!!!). Win, it kicks off huge momentum for a big season. Lose, I can take 3 months off until we play the U as all other games are rendered meaningless. Might as well get the loss out of the way early.

The Jazz can potentially win a championship every year (don't give me the 1984. I was 3 years old, I don't remember it, and it would take a minimum two-year run, including a BCS WIN the first year of the two year run, to make it to the BCS Title Game, and then have to win. Hmmm, I wonder what this year was supposed to be?) I already know up front that the Jazz won't go undefeated, but they can have a very relevant season. As for BYU I'm now left screaming at the television, "It's Division 1 Football!!! Get ready!!"

Game was over when: Max Hall threw his first "should have been" interception, only the guy dropped it. Clearly this defense could lock in on the fact that he looks right at his target after the snap and stays looking at him (being Austin Collie) until he throws it to him. Easy pick!

Game was truly over when: we run a sweep on 4th and 1. Note: GREAT CALL to go for it on fourth and 1. I truly support going for it on 4th and less than 3 anytime inside the 50 no matter what the situation. TERRIBLE CALL to run a sweep when your fullback and running back are power backs, not speed-to-the-outside backs. Power it up the gut with your full line of "pro level" linemen!

Emotions are running high, maybe I'll feel better in a couple weeks, when the Jazz regular season starts up.

I hate TCU.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

What division is it again?

Lumpy said...

so can you guys still where your "quest for perfection" shirts to the games?

Lumpy said...

oops...as i look like a retard for spelling "wear" wrong

Brad said...

Hmmm... "Go play intramurals brother"

Dr. Lordeslupe said...

Hey Bro....please speak English...us girls dont know what the &%#$ you are saying 4th and what???? You need to say 3 cups of flour and 1 cup of sugar and we will figure it out. Sorry about the game and REALLY SORRY about D will. ARe you ok???