Saturday, April 11, 2009

Utah's Best Burger

Last week I went to St. George with Rache-Train and the C-Murder for some much needed sunshine. I was also pleased we went to settle once and for all something brewing in my mind the past few months. . . the best hamburger the state has to offer.

I believe I've tried all the "best" burgers available from the obviously low-end (think major chains like Wendy's, BK, etc.) to "gourmet" burgers (Red Robin, Training Table), to "one-hit wonders" (the garlic burger at the Cotton Bottom), and to those that claim they are the best burger ever (i.e. the Counter-OK but pretty pricey).

Overall the past few years I would probably assign the best burger label to the Crown/Apollo/Astro chain (hereafter referred to simply as Crown) Burger. The pastrami burger is an absolute gut-bomb but it tastes so good going down it is worth any painful consequences. A few months ago at work we tried a new restaurant in town, "Five Guys Burgers and Fries". There are so many positives associated with this burger I can't possibly name them all, but a few include: A) the regular burger is a 1/2 pound double; when you're going in for a big-time burger you might as well go all the way, B) going all the way includes adding Bacon (come on, we all knew Bacon was a major player in my best-burger analysis), C) all toppings are free, and the toppings options go beyond the normal ketchup and pickles. I'm not even a huge toppings guy, but I see this as a plus for others, D) the meat and fries are super fresh, you can taste the freshness in every bite!

Now, I didn't label 5 Guys the best burger in the state the first day I tried it, even though I was highly impressed. It is the days after when you start to realize just how good it is. I couldn't stop thinking about it! I just wanted to go back because all day I kept thinking, "Dang! That burger was freaking good!" And so, of course, I went back. I've been back multiple times since. So good, so fresh, how could this not be the best burger Utah has to offer? (Editor's note: I still think the Crown is dang good and pretty much label it as #1A, but this 5 Guys place just has something to it).

I had one hangup on my final declaration. . . In-And-Out. Too many "Californians" or wannabe Californians always talk about how it is the best burger on the planet. They too emphasize freshness and simplicity in the menu. We all know one is coming to Draper but Utah already features an In-And-Out in St. George. I had forgotten about this until we saw it last Thursday. Of course we had to go for lunch! I had only eaten at In-And-Out once before like 4 years ago. I remember thinking "This is good. I am enjoying my meal and would never be opposed to coming to eat here; however, it is not the best burger I've ever had". Since that one visit was so long ago I was excited to renew my acquaintance with In-And-Out in order to make an educated decision.

In-And-Out was cheaper than I remember, and the fries are definitely top-notch fresh. I would put them on par with 5 Guys for freshness no problem. The burger, however, was good but not "best" category. It was fresh, but a little small (their double cheese is like a McDonald's-size double cheese). I don't know the whole "secret menu" garbage either so that is arguably a downer for me. I thought, "This is exactly like the first time. Great meal, no real complaints at all, just not the best burger I've ever had".

So that settled it for me, 5 Guys offers the best burger you can get in Utah. If somebody has a better place please don't keep me in the dark. If you go try 5 Guys, take notice of not only how good it is the day you eat it, but how bad you want it again the next day (like me right now!).

6 comments:

Brad said...

Brandon...

As always... great post. Looks like we're on the same page when it comes to hamburgers. Crown burger always gets an "A" on my report card... and is easily in the conversation about being the best burger in Utah... but you're right about being a gut bomb... I usually have to settle for the Junior Crown... the side of fries is excellent.

In my opinion... IN AND OUT is a "B+" burger... good taste to-be-sure... it's a big step up from McDonalds... but it's a little overated... even if you do get it ANIMAL STYLE. Don't care much for the fries either.

I went to THE COUNTER down at the Gateway and wasn't too impressed... too overpriced... poor service... and the french fries were gross... I wouldn't go again.

I first had a FIVE GUYS burger back in 2004 when I lived in Washington DC... and I was immediately hooked... fresh and tasty... certainly gets an A or A+ grade... and I have no problem with you assigning it the best burger in the state... DELICIOUS!

Which one did you miss? In my opinion... FUDDRUCKERS deserves to be in the conversation... they've got the best buns... freshly baked... I've never had a bad burger at Fuddruckers... probably my personal favorite... and the fries are top notch as well.

Monty said...

Brandon,

This is a great post and something I've had on my mind lately. In my opinion Crown Burger stands atop the Utah Burger Pyramid followed closely by Five Guys. I think you should have mentioned Hires Big H in the conversation its not my favorite burger but its hard to talk about Utah burgers and not spend some time talking about Hires.

As for In-and-Out...my mission was in California and eating In-and-Out was a regular thing for me. They do have a quality burger and some cool options with the secret menu, However...outside of being fresh In-and-Out has no big upside. My favoite is the Double Double Animal Style and it falls WELL SHORT of Crown, Five Guys, Hires and Fuddruckers. Every time I hear some Californian brag about In-and-Out I immediatly offer to buy them Crown Burger, I've honestly converted a few Californians and made them admit burger supremecy in Utah.

Aaron said...

Never been to "5 Guys", but the best burger I have ever had came from Crown Burger (or Apollo Burger). I don't think I could make a burger that good.....yum.....wish I had some cash to go get one right now!

Spencer said...

I would have to agree that the Apollo Burger has one of the best in Utah (minus the almost instant diarhea that ensues after hitting those bombs). I've never been to Five Guys, but you make a convincing argument. I was watching Man V. Food on the Food Channel the other day and he went to a couple of bars with a burger called "The Juicy Lucy" which is cheese layered between two patties and pinched off at the end prior to cooking. It looked awesome, so I tried it. If any burger joint like that comes out in Utah, it would take the number one spot.

As for In-N-Out, it's the best in AZ as far as I know, but it doesn't top Apollo Burger. Animal fries, however can't be beat. Melted cheese with fry sauce and grilled onions smothered all over freshly deep fried shoe strings has got to be the least healthy, most delicious development in the history of the potato.

Dr. Lordeslupe said...

I have to say that Hot Rod (VERY PICKY) enjoys the burgers at The Schnitz. But my vote is the quesadilla burger at Applebees. Apollo burger gets the best vote for their Gyros. Talk about instant diarrhea but so worth the pain. Havent been to 5 guys but I will let you know Brandon. Glad C is feeling better. ARe you feeding him this Ssssht and that is why he is constipated????

The Lind's said...

In-N-Out is the best in it's class ($2.50). I would say the cheeseburger at Crown is just as good though.

You should try JCW. The Hawaiian is my favorite (American Fork/Lehi).

Also no mention of the referral for Outliers huh? One of the best books you've ever read and not a mention of the person that told you to read it??? Glad you liked it.

Hope you're doing well.

-Gerry