Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sushi!

So I started my gloriuos career at KPMG this week. I've worked 3 days so far and pretty much all I've done is stared at a computer screen watching training videos. I've only had a few jobs since returning from the mission and I already feel like I've seen the Discrimination, Sexual Harrassment, etc. type trainings too many times in their various forms. I'm sure in a couple weeks when I'm putting in 12 hour days I'll rue the day I ever thought trainig videos were boring :) But for right now I'm really excited to actually get into my normal course of work.

On to being new at a job. A few guys took me and the other new guy out to lunch on our first day. They wanted to go get sushi at Mikado restaurant! Needless to say I was freaked out because I am an extremely picky eater when I'm eating normal foods, much less when I'm trying things for the first time (which I usually don't do since I'm so picky). So we went in and they told me what to order. The manager also ordered some type of shrimp/tuna sushi thing for everyone. My main meal consisted of your normal stuff: rice, chicken, cooked shrimp; as well as some other stuff that I put into my mouth without even knowing what it was. That is an interesting feeling. The only other time in my life I've just shoved something down my mouth without even knowing what it was was on the mission. Some of the stuff was actually pretty good, and some of it was downright nasty. I must say the "california roll" (a rice cake with crab and avocado wrapped in seaweed in the middle) was NOT good. Still, I'm the new guy so you take what you get, right?

So I did try the raw shrimp/tuna sushi deal. It was actually pretty good! Who knew, eh? I ended up having 2 of those. Overall a pretty good experience. Rachel was so proud when I told her :). It was an interesting day: new job, new food, new people. I'm pretty sure I'll get comfortable with the new job and people pretty quickly. I'm sure more new food lies in my future is well so I better get ready. You never know when raw fish is going to turn out tasty.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hope the job goes well...Nice to hear your venturing out and trying some good ethnic food.... for some reason I didn't get the Ball family picky-eater gene... so if you're ever in the mood for some good Afghan, Indian, or Thai food.... give a me a call... I know some GREAT places downtown.