Saturday, March 22, 2008

Live With Your Parents!

Interesting article in the desnews today about the growing number of adults moving back in with their parents. The article cited a 50-year old moving back in with her 80-year old parents. She acknowledged it was quite the humbling experience, but she needed somewhere to get back on her feet.

(Can I just make a quick note completely off topic? I'm sure everybody has noticed that my spelling has been quite off on most of my recent posts and I blame the keyboard on our new desktop. It's a piece and it doesn't pick up my keystrokes. I've had to fix like 30 words already! Anyways, whatever I can do to shift the blame off of my noticeably bad spelling.)

Back to living with the parents. Somebody posted an interesting comment after the article, noting that our capitalist society is what dictates that everybody live in their own house, even though our houses are huge. I kind of agree with that comment. I know in Latin cultures it is not uncommon for multiple generations to live together in the same home.

I guess I'm writing about this because I know if I was still single I'd probably live at home and I'd want to somehow justify myself for being an at-home adult.

I keep wanting to write that I don't see any problem with somebody living at home after they've fallen on hard times, but I guess the reason for the "hard times" would potentially be a problem. Got laid off from your job in a rough economy? No problem. Don't have a job because you're lazy? Problem. Have a job but you're just stupid with your money? Problem.

Other examples of problems: One idiot comment tried to turn it into a rivalry thing, saying it was stupid Utah fans who live at home. BIG MISTAKE-especially since the spineless loser posted as "anonymous". Even being the BYU homer that I am, it is clearly the kids "down south" who pump out 3 kids on the government dime (which equals my dime) while still in school and then move into the parents house for a couple years of "transitioning" period once schools out. Good call.

I have to say, I started this post with the intention to say it was okay to live with the parents after I felt so bad for the lady in the article who had to move back home for a while after getting laid off; however, I've clearly noted points against living with the parents as well. It's also worth noting that the "problem" points are much stronger than the "no problem" points. Hmmm. . . note to Cannon: You cannot move back in with us when you're 50. Sorry!

No comments: