Thursday, March 27, 2008

Work-Life Balance

So before I even write about this topic can I just say that I've had like 3 DOMINANT posts lately that I've wanted to post but I've been struck down by the powers that be from fear of offending people. So it's not that I haven't written in forever; it's more that I've written "secret posts" that are now stored away in my heart forever. Ah, the internet, where whatever you write is permanently posted somewhere.

So I'm nearing the end of my first "busy season" as we call it in accounting. This week I worked until 3 am on monday night and 1 am wednesday night. My usual night ends with me getting home post-10 pm. I'm pretty sure if I break down this salary thing into an hourly wage I'm making somewhere in the minimum wage range. This accounting profession has it figured out! Take educated people right out of school, work them a ton, and pay "salary" so you don't have to pay any overtime! I will say I haven't really worked any weekends, which are now pretty much "Dad's time to see Cannon awake", so that's been good.

I'm writing a lot of gripes, when in truth I actually enjoy what I'm doing a ton. I'm learning a ton and I like the people I work with (a key for enjoying any job). I'm not saying that I'd prefer to be at work rather than at home all night; what I'm trying to say is that I'm enjoying it despite some long nights. I'm actually excited for some of my future prospects later this year. Things should mellow out for me sometime in the next few weeks and that's when this "life" side of things hopefully will be able to kick into gear.

So I'm about 3 months in to this accounting thing, and I still feel like it's brand new. This is definitely a major tranistional period for Rachel and me. I'm thinking this entire year might be a transitional period because so much has changed for us in the past 8 months or so and we still aren't sure how to react to it all. We always had "just get through school" in our minds as kind of an "ending point" to our early years of marriage. Now that we've started a family and essentially started what the rest of our lives together will be like (for the most part. Rachel won't work forever. I included this side comment specifically for her so she knows that :) ) I think we are both caught off-guard as to how fast this all snuck up on us.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Basically if anybody's up past midnight and needs somebody to talk to, I'm most assuredly awake and most likely at work so feel free to call for a chat! Careful, though, I might lure you into some boring accounting talk. One positive is that if Rachel is having any trouble sleeping at all, she only has to tell me, "Brandon, tell me about your work" and she's out like a light within minutes.

No comments: