Sunday, May 11, 2008

Love the Jazz!

Yes, Rachel wrote true. I love the Jazz (I'm writing this after the Jazz even their series with the Lakers 2-2 so that I'm in a good mood while writing. Otherwise, the title would be "Hate the Jazz!")
What is not to like about the Jazz? They are so freaking awesome! I love pretty much all Jazz players, even ex-Jazz players as long as they left under good terms (Read: I hate Mark Jackson and I'm VERY suspicious of Derek Fisher).
My favorite game ever? February 3rd, 1992. Triple overtime game over the bulls. Pippen was ejected, Jordan fouled out. Last game I watched with my dad before he died 3 days later. 2nd favorite, last year's game 7 win over Houston on the road. Watched the game over at Ben's house with everybody. I've never screamed so loud about hating AK47 right as he launched yet another ill-advised 3, only to never proclaim my love so loudly seconds later after he made the 3 which tied the game.
Favorite player? All-time, Malone. How can you not love Karl Malone? I will never understand how lots of Utah people don't really like Malone and profess their undying love for Stockton. You know, you can like BOTH of them! It's ok I promise. Lots of people say Malone wouldn't be the player he was without Stockton. I think that's crap. They were both incredible players who would've been awesome even if they didn't play together. Anyways, I loved watching Malone play. Back in 7th or 8th grade, I went to a game with Jacob against the Warriors and saw Malone score 51 points. Awesome game. We were on the 20th row or so, the bear kicked the actual game ball into the stands right up to us. It landed in some unsuspecting lady's lap right in the row in front of us. Figures.
Favorite current player: Paul Millsap. Of course I love Dwill and Booz (I will never hate Booz becuase he was the first big-time player to come to Utah as a free agent, so he gets a pass on any permanent dislike). I've loved Millsap since we drafted him. He is a perfect Jazz system player and I hope he never leaves. I just love Millsap and I basically have a mancrush on him because he's so freaking awesome.
Favorite opponent memory: I had a great run in high school of going to a lot of games in the lower bowl becuase of some opportune friendships with Nate Hull and Kyle Butterfield. They both took me to quite a few games and those were the highlights of my attendance at Jazz games. One game in particular, I was with Butterfield on the 3rd row across from the Jazz bench playing the Mavericks. The Mavs weren't great, but they had Michael Finley who was an all-star. The kid in the row behind us would yell in earnest to Finley, "Shoot it Finley! Shoot it!" every time down the court. Finally one time down, Finley pulls a sick spin move on Hornacek, drains the turn-around jumper, and then turns around, points at the kid behind us, and says, "That was for you kid!" The whole rest of the game every shot he made he would point over to the kid. The kid was beaming all night. I've loved Finley ever since.

Rachel always gets mad at me for getting so worked up about the games. People will say, "It's just a game!" What they don't realize is that it is more than a game, this team represent us! They represent our city, our state, and to some minimal extent our religion (those vicious mormon fans!). Beating the hated Lakers or Spurs is more than just beating them on the court, it's saying "Utah is better than California or Texas!" and seriously, you know you're thinking that and wanting that every time they play!

Anyways, I could go on forever, just wanted to validate Rachel's post that yes, I love the Jazz. Especially tonight after they beat the Lakers in OT. Just don't ask me after they lose a game. Then, it's "Hate the Jazz!"

4 comments:

PeterPete said...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=58162

Now how do you like Malone? I thought so.

Brad said...

Brandon...

I'm with you on the Jazz... I absolutely love them... and today's a great day to be a Jazz fan!!!

Funny...my wife and I talk about that triple overtime game all the time (she was at the game vs. the Bulls when it happened). I would LOVE to find an old video of that game somewhere... one of the best Jazz games ever.

While I share your sentiments about Derek Fisher (I am also VERY suspicious of him leaving the way he did)... I don't have the same absolute LOVE for the Mailman that you have... and I actually routed against he and the Lakers when they played the Pistons in the Finals a few years ago.

Anyhow... the Jazz rock... it sure makes for a good month of May when they're doing well in the playoffs!

Jenny and Kasey said...

I would have to agree. I must have got some ball gene going on because I LOVE THE JAZZ!! I watch them like a giddy little school girl sitting right in front of my big TV, as my Kasey sits comfortably on the couch just enjoying the fact that his wife gets more excited about the game then he does. :)
Great Game!!!

Aaron said...

I don't have TV anymore because we live in the middle of dugway proving grounds....however, when I DID have TV I did like to watch the Jazz play. I don't like Malone as much as you do but the Stockton - Malone duo will go down as one of the best in history.