Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Death of an Email

My wife changed her email this week to a new email address. I'm out of town so I don't know the exact reasons why; maybe she thought after five years of marriage she should update her last name on her email. Whatever the reason, I received a new email from her this week from her new address, r.ball@live.com.

It's funny how in this day and age, even an email address can bring memories. Rachel's old address was rachepercy@excite.com. Right after I got home from my mission and we were first dating, we would email each other throughout the day as our little way of "flirting" if you will. She worked at the credit union as a teller and I worked at the now defunct Neighborhood Grant Network (with all the time we all spent on the internet there, no wonder it went under! Just kidding to any old bosses who read this!). All of the emails were usually only a few lines back and forth, but it was fun to sneak in little lines to each other during a long workday. I wish I would have kept some of her messages, but that was back in the day when storage on the free hotmail account was at a premium, so I had to erase frequently as her messages would constantly put my inbox at the maximum storage limit.

I remember one specific day when she didn't email me all day. I got home and called her and she said, "You'll never guess what happened to me at work today!" I say, "You got robbed!" Her answer, "How did you know?!" I didn't of course but she did in fact get robbed so she didn't email me because she was dealing with that the whole day. Being the pro that she was she inserted the little ink-explosion tablet thing and the guy got caught outside not too far away. Crazy how all these little memories start popping up just from something menial like a change of email address!

Anyways, those were good times when I would get a daily (or hourly) note from rachepercy@excite.com. Maybe she'll start emailing me again!

1 comment:

Brad said...

I know how it is to get sentimental about an old email addresses. It's weird how our email and cell phone number become so much a part of us... we give it out to so many people and they stay with us for so many years. Changing email addresses has become a big deal! Several years ago my email address was b@bradleyb.com. I loved it... but the web hosting service changed the rules and required a longer prefix... totally sucks.