Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Road

So after grinding out John Adams for 6 months, I needed a quick weekend read to kind of straighten myself out. This has been a quality first year out of college. I'm a huge reader but I didn't read much during college since I always had to read textbooks. My goal for this year was 4 books. I'm going to finish with 7: Kite Runner, No Country For Old Men, The Pillars of the Earth, A Thousand Splendid Suns, I Love You Beth Cooper, John Adams, and The Road. I didn't write my little "review" of all of them, but there they are for what it's worth.

The Road is the same author as No Country For Old Men, and it appears it will be coming out as a movie next year. I must say it is VERY rare for me not to like a book, but I must have missed the meaning of this thing or something. Set in the future where the world is basically destroyed, this guy is on a "journey" with his son, heading South, constantly looking for food. Can I just say that that last sentence pretty much sums up the entire book! I kept reading because I was sure something was about to happen; something big. Nope, just more looking for food (and of course finding it at just the right time). I almost never think a movie is better than a book, but hopefully there is some creative liberties taken to make this a little more interesting.

So I finish the year on kind of a downer as far as books. All of the other books I read this year were fantastic. If I had to pick a "best one" I would go with The Pillars of the Earth, but it was over 1,000 pages so it's quite an undertaking. I'm looking forward to starting next year with the sequel, World Without End, also a 1,000+ page beast. Just avoid "the road".

1 comment:

Marshall said...

Dude I loved Kite Runner and I want to read Old Country for New Men. We'll see though..like you, I love reading books, but I can't seem to get myself to do it...I don't know why. Anyways I liked reading your posts...the one about T-Bone was funny...cuz..that was the same with Ben Smith and I...I had bunkbeds and he'd always crash at my place.