Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

So what am I grateful for this Thanksgiving? First and foremost, every year my utmost gratitude goes to God for living in this incredible country. Just like everybody else I get greedy and complain about all the things I want that I don't have, but I try my best to keep what I call my "Paraguay Perspective" meaning I don't need anything, and for that I should be grateful. Serving a mission helped put America in perspective more than anything else could possible have. For example, the things I have worry about on this day are balancing my meals since we're eating at a couple of places, deciding which movie I want to see this evening, and hoping I get a solid nap in some time today. These worries are obviously far from needs that are so common all over the world. The fact that I love in a sweet house with heat, air conditioning, carpet, electricity, and every other amenity I could dream of is pretty incredible. Life is good and living in this country is one of the principle reasons for it.

On to other things; obviously I'm pretty happy about having my wife and son in my life so shout out to Rachel and Cannon on being my favorite people and I get to see them everyday. I'm also happy about my health. I'm about to go play (read: dominate!) in the Turkey bowl with all the boys and other than my annual dislocating of my shoulder my health is pretty good. Before I left on the mission I had knee surgery and the doctor told me I had less than 5 years before my knee gave out and I would need a major reconstruction. Well that was 7 years ago and my knee still feels generally really good so I'm grateful for that too (knock on wood!).

I remember being a senior in high school thinking, "There is nothing I could even want right now. I have everything I want and life is going good." Well, I feel the exact same way right now. I'm finishing school, I have a great job lined up, I have a great wife and a stud baby and pretty much everything is going great. How can I not be grateful for all of that? I'll make sure to say an extra long prayer tonight full of thanks; however, being greedy as I am I will have to ask for one little thing to top off my perfect life-as-it-is-right-now. . . a victory this weekend for BYU baby!

No comments: