Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Bowl

The Turkey Bowl turned out great this year even though a few guys dogged out at the last minute. We ended up having 12 people which made for a good game where everyone could spread the ball around and the teams were pretty even. Couple of fun things from turkey bowl.

I exerted my will as pleased as always! Actually, I guarded Brooks the whole time and he was already faster than me before and now that he's dropped 30+ pounds (and I've probably gained 10 or so) I was that much further behind so I had to either jam him hard at the line or get burned. On the offensive end though I did get in a couple of TDs of my own so not a terrible performance.

Marshall was the MVP for our team in the first game, ending it on a qb rush after the blitz in which he first shed a tackle, then lost his shoe in another tackle attempt, and then rumbled down the sideline for the winning TD. Crazy play. The second game ended with Curtis making a nice grab at the back of the endzone for the other team's victoy. It sucks ending 1-1 but we were out of time, oh well. Catch of the day goes to Gehrke who caught a deep ball one handed while Curtis was holding down his other arm. Run of the day goes to Stubler of all people who avoided Jacob's blitz and somehow toed the sideline to go the length of the field for the TD.

Love how many of the guys pined for flag football so Harrison and I bought 2 sets of real flags so that we weren't playing with socks only to end up playing tackle the whole time. You know, you just gotta play tackle on Thanksgiving. I'm not upset about the flags becuase I actually think they will facilitate playing football more frequently, but there's just something about playing tackle once a year and getting so super-sore that you can hardly move the next day. Nobody got hurt but I might as well count how sore my hips are as an injury because I'll be basically incapacitated tomorrow (and tonight as I write this!). I'm about as far from a pro athlete as they come but I don't see how pro football players can deal with the soreness week after week during the season. Good times at the turkey bowl.

1 comment:

Lumpy said...

count me as one of the pusses that dogged out last second! wish i could have made it since i would have been an easy shoe in for the MVP award. too bad i missed out, sounded like fun...i will just have to dominate next year i guess.