Sunday, October 28, 2007

BYU Football 2007=Lame

I can't remember ever being so disinterested in a BYU football season, especially right in the middle of it. My current level of interest hovers somewhere near my level of interest when I was on my mission (when I had no access to know what was going on so I didn't care). Think of the past four weeks for BYU football. Bye, UNLV, Eastern Washington, default bye (you can't blame them for the San Diego game being postponed, but I certainly wasn't up for San Diego State either). It seems to me that BYU isn't all that great of a team, but they're going to win the conference anyways this year because the conference is SO bad. Max Hall is digressing as the season progresses (although I am still pumped about him long-term), the offense is not as explosive as a result, and the defense is fine but nothing spectacular. David Locke on 1320 has constantly commented this season that BYU is irrelevant because this conference is irrelevant, even if BYU ends up going 11-2. I completely agree. BYU's only threat the rest of the way is Utah (who are starting to look really good as opposed to BYU gradually looking bad but still winning). Wyoming and TCU are both downers and pretty much anybody else in the conference stinks. I am now super-pissed we lost to UCLA and Tulsa because even with our mediocre team we should probably be vying for a BCS birth the way college football has gone this season. Had we won those games and still be undefeated, we'd be in the top ten right now. I blame Bronco for choosing to receive at UCLA instead of kick. Last year's play of the year was David Nixon's sack on Jeff Ballard in the TCU game which turned that game, and the season, around. This year's (dumb) play of the year was winning the toss at UCLA then choosing to receive. Bronco should know (and I'm sure does know) that the defense is better than the offense this year so why'd he go offense first? I knew we'd get pinned down and have terrible field position all half. Had we done the reverse and played defense first we could have done that to UCLA and had a better first half, and hence a win. We were obviously the better team as we showed in the second half but that crappy first half did us in. I feel the Tulsa game was a hangover from UCLA so that would've taken care of itself. Oh well, now we're stuck in a stretch where we've played 2 worthless games (where we've been unimpressive besides Unga in those 2 games) in 4 weeks. Usually nothing can keep me away from a BYU football game but I've literally slept through the last 2. Sad but true. Pretty much the Utah game is the only game I find myself getting up for through the rest of the season. And if they lose a game? Even worse! I guess I can just be happy about the fact that I passed on season tickets this year.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Brandon...

I think it's time you convert to become a UTAH fan. I made the conversion several years ago as an undergraduate and I can honestly say it's been a wonderful ride... I'll never go back. Consider... BYU has a great team about once every 5 years (2006, 2001, 1996, 1990, 1984) Whereas us Utah fans... even during mediocre years... we at least get to see our team beat up on the likes of UCLA, Georgia Tech, even USC. Make the switch... you'll thank me when the Utes beat up on the Cougars this November.