Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 6 2007 Original Post

Welcome to the launch of the balltrain blog! I'm hoping to use this as a journal type setup for myself and my family since i basically haven't kept a journal since my mission. I hope to write here at least once a week about what's going in with whatever. I'm note sure how personal I want to get but as I sit here thinking ab, out it I'm not sure who will end up reading this so I'll probably keep it pretty vanilla for a while. However, I do plan on writing about my sports feelings just to get them off my chest. I don't really post to chat rooms so maybe it'll be fun to write about stuff here.

As for life, life is great and crappy at the same time right now. It's great that Cannon is a little stud and we're healthy, etc. It's great that i'm in my final semester of school. It's crappy because during this final semester i'm working graveyard shifts (I write this at 4 am) and with a newborn baby Rachel and I are both pretty much literally riding no sleep right now. It is 4 am Saturday morning and from Monday-Friday this week I slept less than 10 hours total. I did get in a long sleep session yesterday morning since no school on fridays and i'm looking forward to another one when i finish my shift today.

Today is an exciting day in that it is General Conference and I'm not sure if it will be today or tomorrow but a new Apostle will be named and a new member of the First Presidency will also be named after the passing of Elder Faust in August.

So there is a monster coverpage article about Mitt Romney in this week's Newsweek. It talks about his Mormon upbringing and how he's facing that in his campaign. The article asserts that Mitt is trying to effectively dodge his religion quesitons because religion-Mitt loses elections and turnaround-Mitt wins them so he's focusing on his business and olympic successes. The article also seemed to attack him for this because he's not revealing his true persona. I kind of agree; it seems that Mitt is continuously downplaying his membership in the church when everybody knows that is a central part of his life. He knew going into this that it would be his monster issue so i think he should embrace it rather than avoid it. He doesn't have to be trumpeting Mormonism all over the place but he should probably more open about it than he has in his efforts to continually downplay it. I've seen nearly all of his national interviews (60 minutes, etc type stuff) and read as much as possible to keep afoot on it so I think i've seen enough to see his approach on defending the religion. It'll be interesting to see this play out. I still think he has a good shot at the Republican nomination but I think the Democratic nomination (hillary or barack) will take the election anyways.

Enough about politics (i'm not even a politic guy for crying out loud!) I'm out!

No comments: